Dehydrating magic mushrooms increases their lifespan. Learn how to make your shroom supply last for a long time using this method.
Mushrooms quickly decompose because of their high moisture content. It contains 90% water; thus, once you harvest them, it won’t stay fresh for a long time. If you order magic mushrooms in Canada for future use, the perfect solution to preserve them is by drying.
There are two different methods of drying magic mushrooms. You can use a desiccant to remove the moisture in the shrooms. But be warned that store-bought desiccants such as silica gel are not safe. You have to make homemade desiccant to guarantee safety.
Another method of drying magic mushrooms is by using a dehydrator. This drying process is easier and more convenient. All you have to do is find a dehydrator.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make homemade dried magic mushrooms using a dehydrator.
Step 1: Clean the Mushrooms
Wash the mushrooms to get rid of dirt, and other debris stuck on it. Make sure the head and stem are clean. Also, cut the bottom of the stem to remove the remaining substrate.
Step 2: Look for a Vertical Dehydrator and Horizontal Dehydrator
There are two types of dehydrators; these are vertical and horizontal dehydrators. Both are applicable for dehydrating and drying magic mushrooms. Thus, if you have a vertical dehydrator, then there is no need to find a horizontal type.
Step 3: Drying Shrooms Using Vertical Dehydrator
If your dehydrator is a vertical model, here is the process you need to follow.
- Place the largest magic mushroom closest to the fan. Arrange the smaller shrooms near the door.
- Set the dehydrator’s temperature to 158 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Set the timer for two hours.
If in two hours they are not cracker dry, extend the dehydrating time of the mushrooms. Take note that some shrooms take time to reach the ‘cracker dry’ level. It depends on the shroom’s size and moisture content.
Step 4: Drying Shrooms Using Horizontal Dehydrator
For horizontal dehydrators, follow the procedure below on how to dry shrooms.
- The largest shrooms go on top ring tray. Place the smallest shrooms on the bottom ring tray.
- Set the temperature to 110 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Set the timer for two hours. If the horizontal dehydrator has no built-in timer, set an alarm for two hours.
- After two hours check the mushrooms. They are done when they reached the ‘cracker dry’ level. If not, continue dehydrating the shrooms for another hour or so until cracker dry.
Step 5: Follow Proper Storage Technique
After dehydrating or drying the shrooms place them in an air-tight container. Check if the container is moisture-free and clean. You can also use a zip lock bag for storage. However, experts recommend vacuum sealed bags since they are more air-tight compared to zip lock bags.
Find a good storage area to keep your dried magic mushrooms. As much as possible, choose a cool and dry place where the shrooms are not exposed to sunlight. The cool temperature will help preserve the shroom’s structural quality, potency, and aesthetics.